Today I’m here going to discuss about how to make waterproofing compound by self at the site during the construction with cheaply available materials. I know it has been a long time since my last article, and maybe you, who are following Techno Genome regularly know the reason behind that, anyways let us concentrate on today’s topic. First of all we have to understand what a Waterproofing Compound is, and why it is required in a Civil Engineering Construction works.
See actually every concrete surface or mortar surface has got fine pores throughout its body, which are known as the capillary pores.
Suppose it is a Plain Concrete without any reinforcements then what will happen that those acidic solutions will dissolve the hardened cement compounds and will decay the concrete, and if it is R.C.C. that is Reinforcements are there within the concrete, then the moisture and oxygen which penetrates through the body will cause the rusting of the steel reinforcement.
So to cope up with this problem the best way is that we must not allow the moisture to enter into the hardened concrete or mortar surfaces, and to resist the moisture from entering through the surface pores. In case the heavy moisture enters into mortar it may cause even electrical short circuit. A Waterproofing Technique also helps in proper curing of the concrete by preventing the moisture from escaping from the inside of the concrete to the atmosphere.
What a Waterproofing Compound does is that it seals off the pores on the concrete and mortar surface by producing some chemical substances which forms due to the reaction of Water Proofing Compound with the Water and the reaction products seals the pores with insoluble products and blocks the moisture from entering through the pores.
But the most important fact is that though this chemical, that is Waterproofing Compounds are required in small quantity about 2% but being costly in many unimportant cases or in cases where due to any reason it is not possible to use a Branded Waterproofing Compound at places where it must be used, then What will we do?????
Yes, We are going to make it by our self, in the following manner. I’ve arranged it in simple manner without any complexities, Let us see.
Ingredients for Waterproofing :
- Cement : Sand = 1:2 by volume
- Pulverized Alum @ 120 N per cu.m. of sand that is 12 kg per cu.m. of sand
- Soft Soap @0.75 N or 75 gm. per Lit. of Water
Procedure of Making Waterproofing Compound :
- Take Required Quantity of Cement and Sand in the proportions of 1:2 by volume.
- Dry mix them well until a good texture is achieved which have to be judged by eyes that the mixing has been done enough.
- Add Alum in Powder form which can be done by crushing the Regular Alum bought from Hardware stores, and add it to the dry cement-sand mix at the rate of 12 kg per cu.m. of the sand in that dry mix.
- Now prepare the mixing water , first determine the amount of water required for producing a mortar of workable consistency, then add Soft Soap (Beauty Soap maybe used which are used for bathing) at the rate of 75 gm. per Lit. of water. and mix the water thoroughly with the soap.
- Now use this soap water and add it to the dry cement-sand-alum mix and prepare the mortar.
- Now this mortar has become a Waterproofing Mortar, use it on the surface of Concrete as a plaster or use for regular plastering works where Waterproofing is required.
But always remember it should be used in case only when it is not possible to use Branded Waterproofing Compounds, and on works which are not of major importance, as in adverse conditions it will not have the same power of resisting as a branded waterproofing compound.
Hope all of you would like this article, please do comment and share your thoughts on this article and on My Civil, and please do share the web address of My Civil that is www.mycivil.engineer in your circle of people and in your Social Networking pages to help in growing this site, Your one help may help others in finding these informative articles and also a growth to this site, or else these efforts are all wastes as it would not help others. Thank You for Your Visit. Keep Visiting My Civil for more and more like Articles, Have a Good Day.